Saturday, February 9, 2013

Three audio books to begin the year

I've been meaning to read something, anything, by P.G. Wodehouse for a long time. Finally, I picked up the audio version of Carry On, Jeeves. It was read by Martin Jarvis, and he was fabulous. I loved the book so much that I immediately got the audio version of My Man Jeeves. Jeeves is the private valet or gentleman's personal gentleman to Bertie Wooster. Jeeves is where we get the iconic character of the well-educated butler and his amazing ability to solve problems and do just about anything. Bertie is a self-proclaimed "chump" and I don't know how he got along before he met Jeeves. These books consist of short stories in which Bertie or one of Bertie's friends gets into a ridiculous scrape that Jeeves must then get him out of. Carry On, Jeeves also had stories about Bertie's friend Reggie Pepper. I liked those stories, but I liked the Jeeves stories best. I'm not sure why I liked the stories so much or why I found them so funny, but I did. I think I will major in Wodehouse for the 50/50 challenge this year.

Next, I listened to Three Men in a Boat, by Jerome K. Jerome. I enjoyed it, and it was pretty funny. But I didn't find it as friendly or welcoming, if you know what I mean, as the Jeeves books, so I didn't like this as much as I did those. I think I would have enjoyed it more had I not just listed to the Wodehouse books. The scene in which the men try to open a pineapple tin without a can opener is pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment