Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Help, The Dark Tower

I just finished the book The Help by Kathryn Stockett and loved it!  It is set in Mississippi in the early 1960s where three woman work together to write, "in secret, a tell-all book about what it's really like to work as a black maid in the white homes of the South." (I got part of this off of the back of the book :).  It's a good book.  I like how the author writes from the point-of-view of the three main characters.  I like seeing the same events  from the different perspectives.   The book makes you laugh.  It makes you cry.  It makes you mad.   It makes you want to stay up really late reading it. I would highly recommend this book!

I also read The Dark Tower and Other Stories by C.S. Lewis.  The Dark Tower was an unfinished manuscript Lewis' old secretary saved from a fire.  I think there was a reason it was unfinished.  It was a little odd and the notes at the end of the story say that Lewis probably did not know where he was going with it. At the beginning the characters talk in technical terms about how time travel is not possible because our bodies wouldn't exist in whatever time or place we would go to, but that there might be a way to view the future or past without actually going there. One of the professors has created a screen where they can watch the past or future without interfering, (at least that is what they think).  The Dark Tower and the other stories are a little disturbing at times and I would think twice before reading this one.  

No comments:

Post a Comment