Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Hugo

This weekend, I watched the movie Hugo based on Brian Selznick's book, The Invention of Hugo Cabret. I have not read the book, but I will since I loved the movie and Selznick is the illustrator of one of my favorite picture books, The Dinosaurs of Waterhouse Hawkins.

Hugo is an orphan who lives in the walls of a Paris train station and keeps the clocks working. His only friend is a broken automaton that he and his father were trying to repair before his father's death. Soon Hugo, caught stealing, runs afoul of an angry man who runs a toy booth at the station. He also meets a girl and together they bring healing to their own and others' lives.

I'm not sure what to say, other than it was a beautiful film. It was joyful (by the end) without being sappy. It was wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment