Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Life of Pi, How to Speak Dragonese, and Pretty in Pink

I recently finished listening to Life of Pi by Yann Martel.  I really liked it! Pi is a teenage boy from India and the main character of the book. Pi is a religious boy who practices Hinduism, Christianity and Islam. Pi's family owns a zoo and they decide to sell the animals from their zoo and move to Canada to make a better life for themselves.  As they embark on their journey to Canada via boat, the boat sinks. The only survivors are the boy, a Bengal tiger, a spotted hyena, an injured zebra and an orangutan.  The book tells about the adventures of the boy and the animals on the lifeboat.  I must say that the book does get a bit graphic about the boy's survival on the boat and it is a little disturbing at times, but I think it adds to the book and it almost feels like you're there a long with Pi and the animals on the life boat.  I liked the book so much that I decided to buy it and add it to my collection.

I also finished the third book of the How to Train Your Dragon series, How to Speak Dragonese. It is more adventures of Hiccup Horrendous Haddock the Third.  These are fun and easy reads! 

I watched "Pretty in Pink" with Molly Ringwald, Andrew McCarthy, Jon Cryer, Harry Dean Stanton etc.  It was okay.  It's a film from the 80's.  It's about a poor girl who likes a rich boy (which was socially unacceptable at the time). The girl and the boy must overcome some obstacles as their relationship blossoms.  I found the movie a little awkward and I don't think I would watch it again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment