Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Happy Birthday, Charles Dickens!

Today, were he still alive, Charles Dickens would be 200 years old. Happy Birthday!

In honor of Mr. Dickens, here are a few photos from a walking tour I took in London.


This is a bust near the building where Dickens lived.

A close-up of the text underneath the bust.

This was at the location of the residence, sort of across the courtyard (if I remember correctly) from the bust.

To celebrate Dickens' birthday, it might be a good time to revisit some of his novels. Although if you want manage 50 books this year, you might begin with a short one. Here is a list works by Charles Dickens, courtesy of Wikipedia. Some of my favorites, include Little Dorrit, David Copperfield and, of course, A Christmas Carol. Do you have any favorites?

2 comments:

  1. I love Dickens. Great Expectations is my favorite. And as you said, A Christmas Carol, of course. I read most of Bleak House but about halfway through I wanted to know what happened too much and spoiled it for myself by watching the excellent film version. My favorite Dickens adaptation film is Nicholas Nickelby. It's even better when you watch it a second time with the director/producer's commentary on the DVD. It's just fantastic.

    Great post, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like A Tale of Two Cities and Great Expectations. I feel like I should read more of Dickens because an ancestor of mine knew him, but sometimes his books are hard to read and get into.

    ReplyDelete