Wednesday, February 22, 2012

My first four flicks

It has taken a while to write this post even though I have now watched four new movies this year. Once I watch more or read any books all the way through it will probably take me a while to write about those. Here they are, the first four movies I have watched this year that I have never seen before.

Movie #1: That Thing You Do

The story of a one hit wonder musical group. I had never been extremely excited about seeing this movie, Alexis had it in our Netflix queue and we decided to watch it. I was pleasantly surprised. The best known actor in this movie is Tom Hanks, but he does not have the largest role. There really isn't one person that I would identify as the lead, rather it is an ensemble cast whose characters each play a significant role in the development of the story.

I expected a goofy comedy, but there was definitely a dramatic story line to go along with the upbeat music and lighthearted elements. One of the many things that makes a good movie is how we connect with the characters and I connected with these characters in such a way that I really cared about what happened to them. This made the ending all the more satisfying when they gave a summary of where the characters each ended up, as if they were real people.

Movie #2: Man on a Ledge

The title of the movie makes the plot some what obvious. I suppose the question is, why is the man on a ledge. Well, I won't ruin it for you. Sam Worthington of Clash of the Titans and Avatar fame is the Man on a Ledge. I like him as an actor but he seemed to struggle a little with the American accent, or maybe I was just imagining that.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie but I am glad I only paid matinee price to see it. Granted, I hate paying prime time prices on any movie if I can avoid it. Bottom line, you don't need to see it on the big screen. The actual story had a good resolution but they threw in a bit at the end that was related to the story arc of some supporting characters, but seemed so random that I didn't think it belonged in the movie.

Movie #3: Chaos Theory

Frank Allen is an efficiency expert. He likes order. Something his life lacks when his wife sets the clock back ten minutes. The time change sends Frank on an unexpected journey with discoveries both tragic and life saving. Through all the chaos, he learns what choices are most important in life.

I really liked this movie. I watched it because I saw it on Netflix and I like Ryan Reynolds, but I didn't know what to expect. Ryan Reynolds is known for his dry sense of humor and this role was a perfect showcase for it. Funny and heartwarming, this movie was a pleasant surprise.

Movie #4: Scorched

Of the movies I have watched so far this is the most random. It is about three bank employees who all make plans to rob their bank on the same weekend unbeknownst to the others. The main stars are Alicia Silverstone, Rachael Leigh Cook, Woody Harrelson, and John Cleese. I watched it for three reasons, It was on Netflix, it was only about 90 minutes which is about the amount of time I wanted to spend watching a movie at that time, and I like the main people in the movie.

I found the movie entertaining. That is something I love about Netflix. It is easy to watch movies you would likely never rent at the video store. As a result you can find some great flicks. This was by no means a great flick, but it was enjoyable for the 90 minutes I spent. It was funny and slightly odd, but if you want to kill 90 minutes on Netflix, give it a go.

2 comments:

  1. I've never heard of Chaos Theory; thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I just added Chaos Theory and Scorched to my Instant Queue. (Love Netflix, too--especially with that amazing Roku box. Woo hoo.)

    ReplyDelete