Tuesday, April 10, 2012

The False Prince, Mirror Mirror

Date night Friday we went to see Mirror, Mirror starring Julia Roberts as the Evil Queen in a fun retelling of the Snow White fairy tale. It had some inventive twists, the dialogue was sparkly and fun, and the I rooted for the romance to end happily ever after. It even had a snappy Bollywood number at the end while the credits rolled. It didn't take itself too seriously, and at a couple of points the corniness did cross the line into eye-rolling territory, but not too many (as in Ella Enchanted, where there was corn EVERYWHERE whenever Cary Elwess came onstage.) I'd give it 3 1/2 stars for good PG rated fun.

I just finished reading the new middle grade novel The False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen, published by Scholastic. I've reviewed it more fully here (if it's not too lame to link my website to this blog. Sorry if I'm breaching etiquette!) It was excellent writing, a fast-paced story with lots of twists, and the stakes were so high I found myself holding my breath from time to time. All that in a middle grade? Yes. Now that's a good, clean read!

No comments:

Post a Comment