Saturday, May 12, 2012

Romancing Miss Bronte, The Avengers, Abduction

One new book and two new movies. Book first:

Romancing Miss Bronte by Juliet Gael came to me by way of a writing friend. Since Jane Eyre is in my top five favorite novels, it was interesting to read this novelized version of the life of Charlotte Bronte from the time she returns from her schooling in Brussels, through her writing career, and through her marriage up until her untimely death. The author combed through all the Bronte novels, through stacks of biographical sources and letters to create this fictionalized account which is quite engaging. I don't read romance novels, really, so when there was some frank talk about sex in the final 50 pages, it caught me off guard. I guess I didn't expect it in a Victorian setting as much. Silly me. Anyway, not a fast-moving, throat clutcher but an interesting story of an interesting person.

The Avengers--we went to see it opening night in a full theater. That's fun energy. And it was a fun comic book movie, one of the best, I'd say. It combines Captain America, the Hulk, Ironman, Black Widow, Hawk, Thor, and some other Marvel characters I don't really know but was thoroughly entertained by. There was humor, great dialogue, fun action, good surprises, cool monsters. Mark Ruffalo made the best Hulk ever. My favorite character might always be Captain America. He's chosen to become a super hero because of his personal integrity. That's just cool. There's a reason this show has made over $700 million worldwide already.

Abduction was something we got on DVD via Netflix this week. It stars Taylor Lautner from Twilight, and he has his shirt off a lot less in this movie. This may be a pro or a con, depending on the viewer. The story is of a kid who feels displaced in his family, who is assigned to do a school report on missing children and finds his own face in the national database. The rest of the movie is a chase scene with a LOT of shooting, some making out and an f-bomb. It's not a classic, but it's what I watched while I folded a ridiculously tall mountain of laundry.

Some movies are popcorn flicks. Some are laundry flicks.

No comments:

Post a Comment